Watermelon is sweet, hydrating, and packed with healthy nutrients. Besides its refreshing taste, watermelon is also renowned for being rich in citrulline. It helps transport blood throughout the body and also lowers blood pressure.
If you’re a pet lover, you must wonder whether these benefits can also apply to your four-legged buddy. Can dogs eat watermelon?
The answer is yes! Dogs also find watermelons juicy and tasty, and you should regularly feed them, though with some precautions.
This article will focus on everything you need to know while feeding your canine buddy watermelon. Let’s dive right in!
Can Dogs Eat Watermelon?
Watermelon is safe for dogs’ consumption. Besides, it’s a refreshing fruit high in nutrients and vitamins. It is one of the finest fruits and vegetables for dogs to enjoy.
However, not every element of a watermelon is beneficial to your dog. The seeds and rind of a watermelon, for example, can block your pet’s digestive tract. Therefore, it’s advisable to get rid of these parts before giving your dog pieces of watermelon.
Your dog eating a few seeds might not cause damage, but taking a whole watermelon can be too much and lead to digestion problems. On the other hand, watermelon rinds are tough, and dogs can have difficulty chewing them. And often, they’ll swallow them, which can cause blockage in their digestive system.
Is Watermelon Good for Dogs?
Watermelon contains various nutrients, including vitamins (A, C, and B vitamins), magnesium, and potassium, beneficial for your pet’s health. Watermelon is also highly hydrating since water accounts for about 92% of its content, making it an effective way to cool your furry buddy’s body during warm weather.
Watermelon also has a high fibre content. This vital ingredient keeps your dog healthy by preventing the sugar in watermelon from generating a significant blood surge. Additionally, watermelon is high in lycopene, good for heart health and fighting certain cancers.
Fun fact: Lycopene is the pigment that gives pink and red fruits, such as watermelons, their colour!
Fortunately, watermelon is low in harmful substances such as cholesterol and fat. It’s also low in sodium and kilojoules, so that it won’t strain your pet’s waistline.
Essential Things to Know
Now that you’ve got the most answers concerning the benefits and risks of giving your canine buddy watermelons let’s find out the essential things you should know before feeding it to your pet. Watermelon is delicious, but there are a few drawbacks.
Too Much Watermelon
Like everything else in life, watermelon is great in moderation. Too much of it might cause digestive issues like stomach discomfort, constipation, and diarrhea. This can distress your pet and give you an awful job of cleaning up after them.
Also, your pet’s age will determine the amount of watermelon that you feed them. Puppies can take just a piece or two of watermelon, while bigger dogs can munch three pieces.
Balanced Diet for Your Dog
Dogs enjoy snacks. But, as a general rule, any snack, including watermelon, should only account for 10% of your dog’s food. The rest of the diet (90%) should constitute dog food nutritionally balanced for them. This proportion ensures they get the perfect amount of vitamins and minerals. Moreover, it also helps them avoid long-term health problems like obesity.
Watch Out for Signs
It’s essential to look for signs that your dog has a digestive issue whenever they accidentally eat a watermelon rind or a lot of seeds.
Your dog might be overly tired, vomit, have diarrhea, or have pain in its stomach. If you sense any of these symptoms, you should consult a vet. A blocked intestine can lead to severe problems if it isn’t treated.
Since watermelon can cause a bad reaction, you should explain the dangers to the rest of your household. Do the same if your dog hangs out with your local dog sitter.
Consult Your Vet
If you’re still uncertain about whether it’s safe to give your dog watermelon or not, consult your veterinarian. They offer advice on pets’ dietary demands and whether you may safely incorporate watermelon into their diet. Some dogs may be experiencing health issues that prevent them from eating watermelon.
If your vet approves of watermelons, they can advise you on the amount of watermelon to give your dog. The amount is mainly determined by your dog’s size and nutritional needs.
How to Feed Watermelon to Your Pupper
Watermelons may be consumed in various ways. Avoid health hazards by feeding your dogs watermelons that have not been tampered with additives. Feeding watermelon to your dogs is a breeze. Here are some simple methods:
- Slice it into pieces! You can ensure that the sweet delight won’t contain any seeds or rind bits.
- Mix it up! Watermelon smoothies are a healthy drink for your pet. Add other fruits to liven things up.
- Freeze it up! Next time you take your dog for a summer treat, try freezing a watermelon smoothie for an extra-special treat.